Friday, September 28, 2007

Dolce & Gabbana

I do a lot of trash-talking on Dolce & Gabbana, especially on their ubiquitous but incredibly boring corset dress. But I think they might be on to something here:

The boning is a little out of control, and the shape of the skirt is weird for me, but I love the sheer long sleeved tee underneath. What a great idea! Over the last couple seasons (years, even?) we've all been saying layer, layer, layer, and whenever I sell a dress I tell my customers how great it would look with a thin turtleneck underneath, but I can really get behind it this time. Because it's sheer and nude, it doesn't take away from the dress, and it's still dressy, but it makes the look way more appropriate for chillier weather.

I actually sort of liked the spring collection from Dolce & Gabbana.

This look above is adorable. They used some serious brocades, but kept it sweet rather than stuffy with the flirty skirt and blouse.

Above: A very cool, irreverent way to wear a dressy trouser.

Above: There's that sheer sleeve again! There was clear inspiration from art, as you can see from the sort of messy brush strokes all over this dress (Dior couture, anyone?).

Above: There's something very Zoolander-Derelicte about this dress, but you really can't argue with the craftsmanship.

A reluctant thumbs up to Dominico and Stefano.

No comments: