Monday, September 10, 2007

Derek Lam, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Ben Cho

Here's my Derek Lam review for Fashion Wire Daily.

---


I'm still getting over my heartbreak at not being at the 3.1 Phillip Lim show... which makes it even harder that the collection was so good.


Irina opened the show in an awesome combination of trench, tie, and beret. I don't even hate the harem/hammer pants on her -- it's the all-white ensemble that makes it work, I think. This is effortlessly cool.






He experimented with shapes and details -- Grecian-style draping, cartridge pleating (love that little black dress), feathery finishes, lace overlays in contrasting color -- and finished most look with easy little toppers, like trenches, blazers, and a great Thriller-style red leather jacket.

Lim's definitely the golden boy these days (as evidenced by his overbooked show... tear), and he certainly didn't disappoint this time around.

---

I have a special place in my heart for Ben Cho, even though I'm nowhere near cool enough for him. I met him a few years ago when I was interning at Seventh House PR, I've gone to the Morrissey party he hosts at Sway on Sunday nights, and feel like he doesn't take himself too seriously, which I love (remember last season's knitted dress?)

This season, Cho was inspired by nature -- a theme he took rather literally with a giant orchid top and several dresses adorned with slices of geological rocks.

I preferred his more subtle pieces, like a top and dress with twists of rope and a super-chic black trench:

1 comment:

brian said...

you probably didn't notice the gladiators the men were wearing at phillip lim. in any case, i'm not going to have to wear those, will i?