Monday, January 28, 2008

painted ladies

When I was in junior high, I worked in the face-painting booth at my grade school's carnival. Now I'm thinking that if I had stuck with it, and perfected my craft, I would have been totally in demand this season!

First, there was the Meisel-shot Italian Vogue spread, above, starring Lara Stone covered in painted tats.

Then, there was the 2008 Paris Vogue calendar, styled by Miz Roitfeld and shot by Mario Sorrenti, featuring Catherine (above), Lara, Natasha, and others painted with pin-up girls, crosses, hearts, and flames.

Next, I hear from Fashionista.com that Ben Cho's getting the artists who are responsible for the Italian Vogue spread to paint his models for his upcoming fall collection show.

And now? Illustrator Ruben Toledo has teamed up with photographer Ruven Afanador for Nordstrom's latest ad campaign, featuring (what else?) models with paint all over themselves.

Honestly? I'm all for the purely decorative; practicality and wearability have very little importance in the high fashion world, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just wondering how this one's going to trickle down to the masses. Should I go buy some face paints?

1 comment:

The Glossy Editor said...

I LOVE the French Vogue calendar. It's a keeper!