Wednesday, November 28, 2007

no surprises at brit fashion awards

I myself admitted that when it comes to Fashion Weeks, London is not the one I'm so excited about -- but that's not to say that there's not a lot of talent coming from the UK. Christopher Kane, Jonathan Saunders, and Marios Schwab have certainly been making names for themselves, and I'm a total sucker for the preppy Brits like Luella Bartley and Paul Smith.

So for me, it was too bad that the British Fashion Awards all went to exactly who we'd expect them to go to:


Designer of the Year: Stella McCartney
It's like they couldn't think of anyone else. She doesn't even show in London anymore, which I would think all the Brits would be kind of pissed about.

---

Menswear Designer of the Year: Christopher Bailey for Burberry
It's true that Christopher Bailey has revolutionized the brand, but giving it to Burberry, to me, is like Paris giving an award to the Louis Vuitton logo Speedy bag. Maybe that's harsh. Eh.

---


Model of the Year: Agyness Deyn (above, in Proenza Schouler spring 2008)
DUH. (If it had gone to Kate Moss, I would have boycotted the British fashion industry for the rest of my life.)

---

Accessory Designer of the Year: Tom Binns

---


Red Carpet Designer of the Year: Marchesa
I can get behind this. They're not curing cancer, but they do make some pretty damn gorgeous dresses (I still love this dress, above, even though I've now seen it one billion times... anyone read the new Vogue?).

---


New Designer of the Year: Christopher Kane
Now this is what I'm talking about. Though it's still a bit of a stretch to call him new when Carine Roitfeld was wearing him ages ago (above)...

---

Outstanding Achievement in Fashion Design: Vivienne Westwood
Another resounding "DUHH."

No comments: